PURPOSE and POLICY
This web site ("Site") is owned and operated by The Australasian Professional Society on Alcohol and other Drugs (APSAD), PO Box R1014, Royal Exchange, NSW 1225. ABN: 92 001 983 026.
The Society complies with the requirements of the national Privacy Act 1988 (Cwlth) (Australia) and the Privacy Act 1993 (New Zealand) and has adopted the Australian National Privacy Principles as the guidelines for ensuring the protection of personal information in its care.
This policy applies to all personal information collected, stored, used and disclosed by APSAD.
This policy statement explains:
- Cookies and Security Policy.
- What personal information APSAD collects.
- How APSAD uses/discloses that information.
- How APSAD stores that information.
- Entitlement to access personal information.
By 'personal information', we mean information about an identifiable individual.
COOKIES and SECURITY POLICY
Whenever you use our web site, or any other web site, the computer on which the web pages are stored (the Web server) needs to know the network address of your computer so that it can send the requested web pages to your Internet browser. The unique network address of your computer is called its "IP address," and is sent automatically each time you access any Internet site. From a computer's IP address, it is possible to determine the general geographic location of that computer, but otherwise it is anonymous.
We do not keep a record of the IP addresses from which users access our site except where you have specifically provided us with information about yourself, in which case we also record your IP address for security purposes.
When purchasing from APSAD your financial details are passed through a secure server using the latest 128-bit SSL (secure sockets layer) encryption technology. 128-bit SSL encryption is approximated to take at least one trillion years to break, and is the industry standard. If you have any questions regarding our security policy, please contact our secretariat.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION is COLLECTED
APSAD only collects personal information that is relevant to and necessary for it to serve and work with its Member and other individuals (collectively "you") and to comply with legal requirements.
The four main points at which your personal information may be collected by APSAD are:
- On visiting APSAD's website.
- On joining or renewing membership of APSAD.
- When applying to and joining APSAD as an employee.
- When otherwise contacting or communicating with APSAD, including making enquiries of the Society.
VISITING APSAD'S WEBSITE
The only personal information APSAD collects from you via its website is what you agree to provide. For example when you complete an online form or application for membership or to attend a workshop, your personal details provided will be confidentially and securely maintained by APSAD.
JOINING APSAD as A MEMBER
Any personal information collected from Members will be used, stored and disclosed by APSAD so it can function and provide those services you require and request.
The type of information collected includes but is not limited to:
- Your name, address and date of birth.
- Qualifications, training and work information.
- Your hospital affiliation and any other specialist or other relevant memberships.
APPLYING TO AND JOINING APSAD as AN EMPLOYEE
OTHERWISE CONTACTING OR COMMUNICATING WITH APSAD
HOW APSAD USES/DISCLOSES THAT INFORMATION
In general terms, personal information held by APSAD may be used or disclosed for one or more of the following purposes:
- Membership registration;
- Registration to attend Conferences and workshops (including to third party seminar organisers for the purpose of event registration);
- Communicating with you;
- Offering member benefits and other services to you, such as APSAD's e-Newsletter, updates and discounts on products and services available to APSAD members that are provided by external partners to the Society. You may request that this information not be sent to you;
- Sending notices, surveys and information to Members about APSAD events, elections and committees;
- Confirming your membership of APSAD to members of the public;
- To relevant advanced training specialty societies and organisations;
- To external partners with which APSAD has entered into agreement (subject to strict privacy and confidentiality requirements) to provide services or information to you, or to offer you special membership benefits and services as part of the primary purpose of APSAD membership;
- To external managers of APSAD members' register.
Communicating with you about changes or updates to the Site and our services and, with your consent, special offers, promotions, or market research surveys.
APSAD does not sell or rent the personal information it has collected to organisations such as telemarketers, mailing list brokers, pharmaceutical companies or medical equipment companies.
HOW APSAD STORES THAT INFORMATION and DATA SECURITY
We recognise that your privacy is important to you, and therefore we endeavour to keep your personal information confidential. APSAD seeks to adopt security procedures and technology to protect the information it holds against unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. From time to time, APSAD reviews those procedures and technologies.
ENTITLEMENT to ACCESS PERSONAL INFORMATION
You are entitled to request access to your personal information held by APSAD. In normal circumstances APSAD will give you full access to your information.
However, there may be some legal or administrative reasons to deny access. If APSAD decides to deny access, APSAD will provide you with the reason why.
KEEPING INFORMATION ACCURATE and UP to DATE
APSAD makes every reasonable effort to keep your information accurate and up to date, which allows the Society to provide the best possible service to you. You can assist by keeping APSAD informed of any updates such as address change, email change or legal name change. If you find errors in your personal information, please advise APSAD and it will make the appropriate corrections.
QUESTIONS, COMPLAINTS, and DISPUTE RESOLUTION
PO Box R1014
Royal Exchange, NSW, 1225
Approved by the APSAD Board, 07 August 2012.