The annual APSAD Scientific Conference plays a key role in the life of the Society, providing an important avenue for APSAD to promote the use of best practice approaches in the prevention, early intervention and treatment of alcohol and other drug problems.
The First Annual Meeting of the society was held at the Australian National University, Canberra, on July 31 and August 1, 1981.
In 2016 the APSAD Conference will be in its 36th year.
The destination for 2016 is Sydney and the conference will take place 30 October - 2 November.
Join the Conference mailing list on APSAD Conference website to get regular updates sent directly to your inbox.
The APSAD Conference program each year includes;
- 9 Keynote/Plenary speakers,
- James Rankin Oration,
- 4-6 Concurrent streams,
- Poster session/s including Poster Prizes for best Early and Senior Career posters along with a People's Choice vote from conference delegates
- Poster Highlights session/s; poster presenters have 1 minute and 1 slide to promote their poster during a plenary session
- Late Breaking sessions; including a Late Breaking prize judged by members of the Scientific Program Committee
- Food for Thought; presentations on case studies, clinical perspectives, new programs or services, and consumer view points
One of APSAD Council's important annual responsibilities is to select the James Rankin Orator. This annual oration is held as part of the APSAD Conference and honours a significant contributor to research, practice, and or policy in Australasian alcohol and drugs.
APSAD members receive a significant discount registration to the APSAD Scientific Conference.
If your membership has lapsed or you wish to become a member of APSAD please visit our Membership page for further information.